Thursday, April 29, 2010

Come Home Running

Hey Friend=),

Hope your week has been going really great! Only 2 more weeks until the 1/2 and then another 5 weeks after that for the Full. Jay's doing awesome...getting stronger every time he runs! I can't wait until he gets the chance to experience a 1/2 marathon race...it's going to be so cool!

Sometimes I listen to music while I run. This week I've been listening to a lot of Chris Tomlin. There's a particular song I keep coming back to...it's called "Come Home Running".

I went on Youtube to see if there was a video I could post here to let you hear the song. I found something really cool...check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLasO1Qxn0w

You've probably seen the story before...Derek Redmond -a 1992 Olympic Runner- trained for the race of a lifetime. Pumped up, ready to go, he starts the 400m race but soon after the race begins he sustains an injury...a major hamstring injury. He watched all the other runners run past him as he fell to the ground.

I really admire Derek's tenacity and determination-he got up and limped his way down the track- he didn't want to give up- he wanted to finish. But, what inspired me even more was when his dad came down out of the stands and came along side his son to help him stay on course and finish what he started. It was in his dad's arms that Derek just broke down and wept. With his dad's help, Derek finished what he started- he and his dad crossed the finish line.

Running long distances is really hard. It takes a lot of physical and mental discipline. You've got to have the determination to not give up. I really want to have that mentality and discipline in my spiritual life too. To stay "on course", don't stop, don't give up. God has been so faithful to me. He has picked me up when I have fallen. He has carried me when I have been weary. He has warded off those who have attempted to pull me off course. And the best part? He takes me just as I am...tumbles and all.

All I really need to know is that He's got my back and I'm not running alone. I can finish any "race" with Him by my side...and so can you =)

So....those are just some of my thoughts this week while I "run on course".

Thanks for running with us! It's great to have you by our side=).

Running In His Footsteps-

Jay, Vicki, Hannah and Grace

1 Corinthians 9:25

No comments:

Post a Comment