Saturday, May 8, 2010

7 days and counting to our 1/2 marathon!


Only 7 days to go and Vicki and I will be running the 13.1 miles together in the Capital City Race in Olympia! We are both looking forward to the challenge and the opportunity to share in the event together.

Our training has been going well. Yesterday (Friday) we were able to go the distance on our long run! It started out a very nice afternoon but by the time we finished, it was windy and cloudy, with lightning and thunder! Vicki ran a whopping 16+ miles and I was able to go 11 miles. I think we're physically ready. But for me, I'm now learning how important the mental part of running is to be successful.

Honestly 5 years ago, I would never have dreamed of running in a race like this. However, I must admit that after watching Vicki over the years build up her running endurance and miles, I continually have been inspired and challenged by her. (If you didn't know, Vicki is slated to run in the 2nd Annual Rock 'N Roll Marathon (26.2 miles) in Seattle on Sat. June 26 with 28,000 other people. How fun will that be. This will be her 2nd full marathon! Wow! Go sweetie! Go! )

But now, after training for the past 16 weeks to prepare myself for our 1/2 marathon, I 'm starting to understand the mentality of a runner. I've been told it's 40% physical and 60% mental. I believe it!!! To demonstrate what I mean, I'll give you an example of what I'm thinking when I run ...."Just one more mile....push, push, push....10 more minutes!...come on, you can do it!.......1,2,3,4, go, go, go.....keep going....don't stop.....focus, focus....ignore the pain, keep going......I'll keep running until I get to those trees....ok I'm there, don't stop GO further" It goes on and on.... But I must admit that there is something special about pushing yourself to your limit and then going even further..... It's a great thing! And what gets me...... I'm liking it!


In the past, I'd cheer Vicki on as she ran her races. But, now it's changed! I have the opportunity to spend time with my favorite person in the whole world (aka. my wonderful wife) and our girls who ride their bikes alongside us as we run in the wonderful setting of WA state. Secondly, I'm getting GREAT exercise! What more can I say!
Thank you Vicki for being an inspiration to me! I can't wait for next week! 7 more days!!!

Also I want to say to Vicki....HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!
You are truly a GREAT Mom and I'm so thankful to God for you!
I LOVE YOU!

"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies...a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised!" Proverbs 31

Be looking for blogs from Hannah and Gracie in the future!
Running In His Footsteps ~ Jay

No comments:

Post a Comment