Thursday, May 20, 2010

Logging In the Miles

Well...this week has been interesting for running because it has been raining here like CRAZY!!! I mean...CRAZY!!!! So...this has put me on the treadmill for miles and miles of running. Not necessarily my favorite thing to do- but I am thankful for a treadmill =)! It's been testing my mental discipline!

The Seattle Rock n' Roll marathon is just about a month away! Yahoo!!! There are 28,000 people signed up to run either the 1/2 or full! I've been in big races before- but this one is by far the biggest one! It's going to be CRAZY! I mean...CRAZY!!!

Speaking of "CRAZY" check out the elevation chart for the race:

If you are wondering...yes it's the green course...and yes it is hilly! And yes...if you are thinking it...so am I...that's CRAZY!!!! =) And now I am wondering...am I CRAZY? lol =)

So, anyway...I've been running with the course map imbedded in my mind...thinking through some strategies for running those hills and finishing strong. It's going to be tough...but I am totally trusting that Jesus will give me the strength to run for Him.

I have another marathon in October, in Victoria, BC with Jay=)! Yes...Jay is going to run a marathon=)!!! More on that later!

I was thanking God the other night- that I can run- and how much I enjoy it- but that I don't want my love for running to be above my love for Him.


A person I find great inspiration from is Eric Liddell. He loved God and was a runner- an awesome runner...and he was fast!!! You might know him from the movie "Chariots of Fire". I love this quote from him ,"I believe that God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. When I run, I feel His pleasure."

I love that Eric knew God made him for a special purpose. What motivated Eric was his love for Jesus...that's why I think he felt God's pleasure when he ran. He was all about running for God's glory- and not his own. Eric later went on to be a missionary to China-after winning the Gold in the 1926 Olympics. He stopped competing in races- and ran after people to win them to Jesus.


You and I are made for a purpose. Isn't that awesome? That purpose is realized when we're on the right "Course". Jesus said that "He came that you might have life and have it abundantly" (John 10:10). The "abundant" life- is a life with purpose-and fulfillment found in Him, and through Him.

I want to run well on the "Course" of life God has laid out for me. I want God to be glorified in my life and for others to see Jesus in me.

Sometimes those life "hills" can be so tiring, discouraging, and disheartening- but as long as I'm running with God- He's going to get me up and over those "hills". I just want to encourage you- don't give up...don't give up...don't give up on the "hills", they won't last forever! Stay on the "Course" even when it looks like it would be easier to get off and quit! God is good- He is faithful- He hasn't forgotten about you- He is in control- He has a purpose for the "hills".

Well, that's it for now...just some of the thoughts I've been having on the treadmill this week=). If you think of it- pray for me...I've got an 18 miler this Saturday...rain or shine!

Thanks for being on the course with us! We are grateful for you=)

Running In His Footsteps-

1 Cor. 9:25
Jay, Vicki, Hannah and Gracie=)

No comments:

Post a Comment